Friday, August 2, 2013

Bosnian Green Bean Recipe (Mahune)


     This past Saturday at the farmer's market, I was mainly searching for some green beans; especially yellow green beans. Growing up, my mom made this Bosnian recipe (mahune), and as a child I was never really a fan. Now that I have gotten older, I have acquired a craving for all vegetables, and this is one of my favorite things to make for my fiance and I. 

     The fresher the green beans, the better this recipe will be. Unfortunately for me, I had a long work week and did not get a chance to make them until today. Nevertheless, they still ended up being delicious! 

  • 1 pound yellow or green beans
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large yellow or red onion
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon Mediterranean seasoning



 Begin by washing and trimming the green beans, and leave them off to the side. Start caramelizing the onion by placing it in a dish with vegetable oil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Then, add the paprika and stir quickly. Add 1 cup of chicken broth along with the beans and stir into the onions. Cover the dish and allow to cook on medium heat for about 2 hours. 




     In the meantime, place the large tomato in boiling water for about 10 minutes. When cool, remove the skin of the tomato, chop it, and fold into the green beans. Toss in the Mediterranean seasoning, and allow to cook for another 30 minutes. 

     When finished, remove from heat, and add in the sour cream and vinegar, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment